One of the things that my mom and her sisters share in common is that they all have very nurturing and catering personalities. I think these are such neat character traits to have. My aunt Sue posted on her Facebook that she is looking for gluten-free, sugar- free recipes and would love to have some that are vegan friendly. She wants to entertain her loved ones by catering to all of their specific diets.
The dinner we had last night was Thai Chicken Noodle Soup that can easily be made vegan by either substituting the chicken with tofu or leaving it out altogether. It was quite delicious and had just the right amount of spice.
Thai Chicken or Tofu Noodle Soup
*We got this idea from Food Network Magazine this month*
– 1 tbsp vegetable oil
– 1 onion, thinly sliced
– 2 cloves of garlic minced
– 2 tbsp green curry paste
– 6 cups low sodium chicken broth (vegetable broth for vegans)
– 15-ounce can coconut milk
– 1-2 tbsp fish sauce
– 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
– 4 oz thin rice noodles, broken into pieces
– 2 small skinless chicken breast thinly sliced or 2 cups of tofu
– 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
– 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stir occasionally about 5-7 minutes
- Add garlic and curry paste and cook, stirring 1-2 minutes
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk and fish sauce and bring to a boil.
- Add bell peppers and noodles and simmer uncovered until the noodles are al dente (3 minutes)
- Add chicken or tofu and simmer until cooked through (3 more minutes)
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro and serve hot!
Savings in this meal:
Chicken- $1.48/lb at Kroger
Coconut milk- BOGO at Super H