I rarely cook. Typically, I buy the groceries and bring them home for Blake to use. He is just a million times better than me at cooking. He is the “a little of this a little of that” type of chef. I am the OCD type that reads the entire recipe, measures everything out and puts in into little bowls, prechops everything and THEN I start cooking. It’s definitely an ordeal.
The other night I was flipping through Cooking Light when I found a healthy and fast Indian Curry dish. It said 20 minutes. I begged to differ knowing my cooking style. I made a few changes to suit our tastes, and believe it or not, had it done in 27 minutes flat!
Be warned, it is pretty spicy, but you can alter the amount of crushed red pepper that you choose to add. Blake loves it miserable-hot, so I took one for the team. Happy Eating!
Bombay Indian Curry with Shrimp and Filet Mignon
Total Cost- $8.80
Total Cost per person- $2.20
Sales used in this recipe-
Spices from Big Lots, Filet at Costco, frozen shrimp from Costco, Frozen veggies $0.50 off
– 1/4 cup Canola oil
– 1/2 lb peeled a deveined shrimp
– 1/2 lb steak- cubed
– 3/4 tsp salt
– 1/4 tsp black pepper
– 1 1/2 small onion chopped (buy prechopped to save time)
– 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
– 1 tbsp mustard seed
– 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (don’t overdo this)
– 1/8 tsp ground red pepper (more or less to heat liking)
– 1 1/3 cup hot water
– 1 cup frozen mixed veggies
1. Heat 2 tsp canola oil in Dutch at medium high heat.
2. Salt and pepper shrimp and cook on both sides until just underdone.
3. Remove from pan and repeat process with steak. Remove from pan.
4. Reduce heat to medium, add remaining oil.
5. Add onion and cook until translucent.
6. Add remaining salt, curry powder, cinnamon, mustard seeds and red pepper. Cook one minute. Stir constantly.
7. Add hot water and frozen veggies and bring to a boil.
8. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 4 minutes.
9. Add shrimp and steak back to pan and cook one minute.
*** Serve with rice***
FUN TIP: When you cook your rice, replace some of the liquid with light coconut milk for a more authentic Indian flavor.