We have had a lot of requests for Japanese food, and we have been craving it which is ideal. Last night we had Japanese Curry. According to www.dictionary.com curry is a pungent dish of vegetables, onions, meat or fish, etc., flavored with various spices or curry powder, and often eaten with rice.
When Blake and I were in Thailand, we learned to make Thai Curry from scratch which was very cool. Granted we were on a two week vacation with no child, so we had time to make curry from scratch. Now, the circumstances are a little different. We have a clingy toddler, full-time jobs, and a marriage to put our time into. Though muddling garlic and other spices is quite fun, it doesn’t quite fit into my weekday evening schedule. This is exactly why I love Asian Markets. We have one in our town called Super H Mart, but almost every city has something similar. Go to your local Asian market and get the premixed curry cubes (We like Golden Curry brand) to make a quick, easy and tasty Japanese style curry dinner that is guaranteed to please the family!
Cheesy eggs are one of Blake and Lottie’s favorite easy egg dishes. Blake learned to make it from his best friend’s mother who is Japanese. It is great simply served over rice, but one day we had left over curry and decided to make some cheesy eggs to accompany it and the combination has never been apart since. The key to cheesy eggs is there 1 slice of American cheese for every 2 eggs, and you have to microwave in intervals and stir often to be sure to end up with gooey, runny, cheesy eggs.
If you can’t find a good Asian Market, buy online. www.asianfoodgrocer.com
Japanese Curry and Cheesy Eggs Over Rice
Total Price- $5.24
Total Price per Person- $0.87
Average Retail Price- $11.40
Total Savings- $6.16
1 tbsp oil
2 tsp garlic
1 large onion, chopped
3 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 tsp pepper
2 potatoes, cut into chunks
3 carrots cut into ½ inch pieces
6 cups water
1 package (8 cubes) of Japanese Curry
4 slices American cheese
2 cups cooked sushi grade rice
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat.
2. Add garlic, onion, pepper, and chicken and cook until nicely seared stirring often. (Roughly 3 minutes)
3. Add potatoes, carrots, and water and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover until potatoes are cooked through. (Roughly 15-20 minutes)
5. Remove from heat and break the curry cubes into the pot and stir until it is thickened.
6. Return to heat over low.
7. In a bowl combine eggs and cheese
8. Heat in microwave for 2 minutes.
9. Stir eggs thoroughly.
10. Heat in microwave for 1 minute.
10. Heat in 30 second intervals stirring thoroughly after each interval.
11.The eggs should be juicy and cheesy when served. Do not overcook or they will become dry. It usually takes 2-3 intervals.
12. Spread rice across a plate and place eggs over one portion and curry over the other. 13. Enjoy!!
Sales used in this recipe:
Golden Curry (Super H Mart BOGO. $2.99/2)
Onions- (Ingles $0.99/lb)
Carrots- (Ingles 2 for $0.88)
Chicken Breasts (Ingles $1.48/lb)
Japanese Cooking Staples: